Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Scary Moment

I am writing this down merely for memory, not that I really want to remember it, but I want to remember the lesson it taught me!  Today I was super stoked to go to the mall.  I had this Old Navy coupon sitting in my purse for weeks and was dying to use it.  It was 40% off my purchase, plus I had $20 in free money from using my Gap card! I decided I would go after Penny's speech therapy today.  I pulled into the parking lot, turned off my car, and slipped my keys into my purse.  I unbuckled Penny and realized that I needed to get the stroller out of the trunk, so I put my purse (with my keys) on the floor of the car and opened the trunk to get out the stroller.  It was a windy day, but apparently that hadn't crossed my mind.  WHOOSH!  A gust of wind closed the only open door.  Now, I initially didn't think anything of it.  I usually don't lock the door till I have Penny out.  For some reason, I locked the door today.  I also don't normally put my purse on the floor of the car, and usually have it slinged around my shoulder, but again, I had it on the floor of the car, with my keys remember.  So I go to open the door, and it wouldn't budge.  I thought, "What is wrong with the door?"  And then it hit me, I just locked my child in the car!  I started to panic.  I thought that maybe Penny would understand to unlock the car.  She just thought it was a funny game, at first.  She kept pushing down on the lock but never pushed it up.  I was getting really frustrated, but Penny decided that this was time to explore the car.  Remember I had unbuckled her.  So she decided to go up to the front seat.  I had some Oreo's in the car from a trip we took, so she got one of those out.  She found some crayons and started to color on the windows, she played a little with the cd player, and also found out that the crayons were warm enough to make marks on the seats as well.  I kept yelling at her NO! NO!  and she just thought it was funny.  I looked around and didn't know what to do!  There wasn't anyone in the parking lot, I didn't know which hospital Chuck was at, I also didn't want to leave Penny alone.  I kept saying over and over Please heavenly father make Penny realize how to unlock the doors, PLEASE!!  Finally, a car!  My prayer had been answered, not in the way I thought, but answered none the less! I ran over to these 2 sweet ladies and she said I could use her phone.  Problem is I had no idea who to call.  She recommended that she go inside and get the mall security.  She came back a few minutes later with a security guy.  The man called the police and told them, a Mom locked her 2 year old in the car, I felt so ashamed and embarrassed.  He assured me that this has happened many a time.  He told me that there was a police car on it's way.  The policeman gets to us and he pulls out this long metal strip.  He kept trying to get it to hook on something but couldn't get anything.  So he called another police officer to come over with a wedge.  In the meantime, Penny had begun to realize that this wasn't funny.  She was in the car screaming and getting really crazy with the crayons on the windows.  She also was as red as a tomato and was sweating.  I started to cry because I felt so helpless and I knew that this was all my fault!  She kept putting her little hand on the window and saying MAMA!  and crying.  It broke my heart!  Finally the other police officer got to us, and put in the wedge and a minute later had the door open.  Penny gave me a really big hug and wiped her sweaty face all over me, haha!  I still can't believe that happened.  I always thought that I was really careful, but sometimes we just don't think.  I think the lesson I learned from this is I am always going to put my keys in my pocket and not to lock the doors till everything is out.  Easier said than done, but I think that this scared me enough to help me remember.  On a lighter side note, I got to use my coupon and seriously got the deal of the year. I got Penny 2 pairs of capris, 2 pairs of flip flops, 2 shirts, and a swim suit all for $12!  Can you believe that!  At least this story has a happy ending:)

2 comments:

Jordy and Paiger said...

OOOOHHH What a day for you!!! Whoooo! Man, that is a scary moment. Glad she is ok, and that nothing came of it. You are not the only one who has ever done this. Adi locked me out of the house while I was taking Bob out. She wouldn't open it back up. She was inside with Harper who was just 5 mos. Scared me to death!! 45 min later she was able to open the door. I do have to say the crayons, and her helping herself to some oreo's was pretty funny:) I love you sis, and you are an excellent, loving mommy!

Jocelyn Pehrson said...

Oh Shay! I am so sorry to hear you had to go through that! I went through that with Talmage last summer! It is the scariest thing. I blogged about my experience too. You seriously feel so helpless and guilty. I know hoe good of a mother you are though. It was an innocent mistake. I love you guys..I'll see you in a few more days.